View Single Post
Old 07-13-2015, 07:45 AM   #1
summers in kuwait

7-12-15 La Jolla

Got to the launch at about 6am and found really nice conditions. Pretty glassy and flat - easy launch. I made my way out and noticed the bait tank was acting up and couldn't get power to the pump, so I filled the tank up manually and went to make bait. Spent about an hour catching about a dozen good size bonito on a 6lb trout rod was fun but not what I was looking for, so I kept heading out and ended up with four spanish, no greenies for me. Figured I better use these guys before they perish, so I started trolling. Made a couple loops and finally got hit around 9:45am. Fish wrapped me around the kelp for a while! After about 20 mins, I figured it was gone and was debating cutting the line. Then I look and about 20 feet down... I see color, so I start lumberjacking with the gaff and muscle the mass of kelp to surface and sink the gaff.

F&G researcher was on the beach when I landed and took weight and measurements. 37" and 21 lbs after bled and gutted.

Much thanks to the gentlemen in the outback that took the pictures for me. Sorry I didn't get your name. Thank you!

summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote