View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 07:23 AM   #31
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
Well, that was interesting.

I am now batting 500 on the launches and 500 on the landings.

Went out to Leo Carrio up near Tower five to just go play in the surf today around 3 PM. Spent a good half hour watching the sets to try to time my launch. Thought I was at the end of a set, and had one more wave coming in right as I threw my feet over into the kayak. That. Did not. Go well :-)

Lost a Calstar rod for my trouble and learned a little bit about Rod leashes today.

Got out and spent about an hour watching the waves. Finally got the rhythm of it and had a practically boring landing which was a nice alternative.

Probably going to run out on Sunday morning. Probably going to try to launch south of the rocks this time
I learned two things recently that help landing significantly.

1. When coming in to land you always should jump out before the next set and run to the back of the kayak to grab the back as the wave passes. ( assuming you don't land on the sand and have plenty of time)

2. A bow rope will go a long way in controlling your kayak when you are on the side. A bow rope is a rope that ties from the nose of your kayak to the middle. This way when you jump off you immediately have a line to hang on to control the kayak. This also allows you to slide your hand from the middle of the kayak to the front without letting go in the surf.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote