View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #16
bigbarrels

I started out with a game bag and when I caught my first WSB (57 lbs) I basically could fit half of the fish in the bag. I gaffed the fish, sent a large stringer through its gills (pain in the arse), paddled with it on my lap, and before landing stuffed it in the bag the best I could.

Then I realized it was probably much easier to secure the fish with a game clip and went out and bought one. Much easier for me anyways. Then one day I forgot my game bag and had two smaller fish I wanted to keep. I secured them on the game clip and laid them over the side of the kayak just enough to keep them in the water, but where I thought I could make sure a dog wouldn't yank them. Within short order, I had a huge shark within 20 yards of my yak. I came up and went back down and didn't bother me, but it was a beast (6-7 feet between dorsal and caudal fin). So use a clip, just don't dangle your fish in the water. Guys on here have had dogs and sharks chomp on their clipped fish in the water.

So, I like to carry both a game clip and bag. Game clip is makes it easy to secure and handle the fish. The bag is nice to get the fish out of the sun and makes landing through the surf a bit easier. just my experience with the game clip and game bag.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote