View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #4
Salty

Recently purchased a new Passport 12 and have been using it extensively ever since. I have not used a PDL or an Outback (for longer than a short demo) so I don't have much input on a real comparison. But here's are some of my thoughts on the Passport 12:

Pros:
Price- It's a lot cheaper than an Outback and offers much of the same functionality.
Mirage Drive- It doesn't come with the 180 Drive, but there have been very few times I wish I had reverse capability so far. Maybe if I had it an used it more, I would miss it if it was gone... but otherwise, I'm doing fine without it. I fish in a lot of kelp and have only been caught up a handful of times. The nice thing though is that it's easy to free up. Its as easy as *Lean over, unclip, lift, drift away a second, drop back in, done* Occasionally I'll pull a little eelgrass from it if I see it. Every once in a while I'll spray it down with some lube when it's free of saltwater.
Weight- It's easy to lift in and out of my tuck by myself
Stability- Very stable and cuts through heavy chop pretty well (not sure how it compares to an outback in this aspect though). I usually return to the harbor nice and dry.
Customization- I assume most kayaks are like this, but with the T-rail, there are lots of places to add rod-holders, a FF, cup holders, whatever. There are even places where you can add even more T-rails for additional customization if you want.
FF-ready: Going to be installing my FF this weekend most likely, but from the looks of it, it seems like Hobie has made it very easy to install.
Seat- It's pretty comfortable for 6-8 hour days

Cons:
Storage- The standard Passport 12 comes with only one 8" center hatch and some straps on the bow and stern to tie things down. I really wish this kayak came with more in-hull storage. Fortunately, you can always purchase and install additional hatches. I purchased the Rectangular Vertical hatch for the center and moved the 8" circular hatch to the bow. This more than doubled my hull storage and was surprisingly easy to install. Just wish it came like this from the factory.
Shallow Water- Even though technically you can use the Mirage drive in shallow water, it still makes me nervous and I pull it out just to be safe. Haven't beach launched it yet, but I would for sure pull it out and secure it before doing so.
Awkward to paddle- The Mirage Drive is awesome, but it's a little awkward to use the paddles in this kayak. With the Drive removed, there really isn't anywhere to put your feet against when paddling. Not much of a problem, but I assume it might be more important when surf-launching. Also, haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how well this kayak tracks when landing through the surf.

Hope this gives you some insight! If you're near Newport, I recommend going to Southwind Kayak Center and renting each for a day to try them both out for longer than a ride around the harbor. I know they rent outbacks for $40 or $45 per day. I think they rent Passports too, but not sure. I also talked with them at their Irvine shop and they mentioned they often have minimally used rentals for sale. They keep their fleet up to date with the most current models from what I understand so their rentals aren't too beat up.

Let me know if you have any more Passport-specific questions and I'd be happy to offer any insight I can. If I could chose the Passport again, I would!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote