View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

4/24 Yesterday's Bite

In a previous post from the Iceman, Andy describes his reluctance to "chase yesterday's bite" so since I was able to get the party started on Wednesday of last week, I thought it is finally time to post a record of my day of fishing. Well, from Andy's point of view it was actually the day before yesterday's bite, but I told Andy and an "presently unnamed" yaker of my success on Wednesday. The story from Thursday from this "presently unnamed" person will of course be "yesterday's bite".

I have caught and lost numerous local WSB in the over the years in the months of March through September, but the week before the moons (new and full) in April and May has always been the sweet spot, especially on the week where the water temp first hits 63 degrees. So launching on Wednesday I had some pretty high hopes on having a run-in with one of these coastal ghosts.

I launched at first light and made my way to the bait area where I found swarms of jack macs but no greenies. I rigged these up Carolina style and started working my spots for no love for a couple hours. I finally found a few greenies of the right size and was hooked up within 10 minutes. This "probable" bull dozed into the kelp and the hook pulled within a minute. A half hour later I had another pickup and this one did the same thing broke off in the kelp. (note to self: Change from straight mono to braid) Finally around 9:00 am I had a third pick up and this one headed for open water when I swung on it. It became an up and down fight in 75 ft of water and I was pretty convinced it was a BSB. I can't describe the feeling when this thing rolled belly up 10 ft below the surface and I saw all of that white.

After several unsuccessful tries to get her on my back deck, I finally just put her in one of my foot wells and paddled in.

Name:  0424130954.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  35.4 KB

Here's a couple more pics this 47.5 lb capture.

Name:  DSC00637.jpg
Views: 1737
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  DSC00634.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  DSC00642.jpg
Views: 1731
Size:  43.7 KB

Since Andy and a "presently unnamed" yaker both bettered my mark, I have no choice but to upgrade. I tried yesterday, but while the conditions have not changed much, the wind and the confused seas made it quite uncomfortable. Oh well, the new moon will come soon enough.

The Rossman
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote