View Single Post
Old 11-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #15
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapHBCM View Post
I read somewhere about putting an electric bilge pump into the kayak instead of carrying a hand pump. The logic was that you will get fatigued from the hand pump ---- seems like overkill to me, but are people actually doing this?
Many years ago, I installed an electric pump after flipping and losing a bunch of gear offshore on a Pro Angler 14. It was an overkill response to the loss. In reality, the main reason for the loss was that I had taken the front liner out of the fwd hatch, and the early PA's did not have any sealing gaskets, so if the front hatch did not have the liner, it flooded the whole kayak quickly when overturned.

With the gasket-sealed hatches and extra internal floatation, the risk is lower, and now I just carry a hand pump, bailer, and sponge. Since that incident, I always keep the liner in the front hatch of the PA14 for extra safety.

I weigh 200lbs, typically take 4-6 conventional rods, a fish bag with 12lbs of food, water, and ice, 4lbs of tackle, a downrigger with a 5-6lb lead, Fishfinder with a 6lb battery, and the Livewell that depending on which one I use, weighs 68-94lbs when filled with water.

Taking this gear, I have never had issues with capacity on the PA14(rated for 650lbs). Last year, I started using the 2019 Outback(rated for 425lbs). I can carry the same amount of gear without issue provided I practice more catch and release. I did have one trip with the 94lb Livewell when the 75lbs of landed fish could not be stowed in the fish bag without sinking the back end of the kayak. I dumped the Livewell and headed in.

Last edited by JohnMckroidJr; 11-03-2020 at 11:02 AM.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote