View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 07:48 AM   #18
Uncle_Tomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapHBCM View Post
Hey All,

Hoping to get a little advice and input on how much capacity is really needed in a kayak given my circumstances. I am just getting into kayak fishing (currently trying to modify a 20+ y/o Cobra Tandem) and trying to decide what I will need.

I am mainly going to be fishing around Newport Harbor, Dana Point, and inshore outside of those areas; however, I also want to be able to go down to La Jolla or a little farther offshore with others (neighbor goes about 5 miles out frequently) to target larger species like YT, WSB, etc.

If I go to La Jolla or elsewhere I will be taking a decent amount of gear with me (drive time/rarity of trip) and I am concerned about the capacity of some of these kayaks. I posted something similar over on Blood Decks, but there is a lot more kayak discussion here.

I've tried searching the forums here and around online, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information and/or information specialized to one particular person's style.

My guestimates on weights:
200lbs Me
40lbs DIY Livewell
25lbs Poles/Gaff/Tackle
10bs Cooler/Water/Lunch
18lbs "Rigged Gear Weight" - Hobie Outback As an Example
7lbs Straps/Pole Holders/VHF/Etc
=
300lbs and then there is still:

batteries
fishfinder/gps
paddle
hand pump/ bailing mechanism
a little water in the kayak
possible wheels from carting to the beach

If all of the above comes to 350lbs + then it seems like im about 1 good fish away from having problems with a 400lb capacity kayak, especially if some of these "70%" of capacity rules I've seen are correct.

What's the general consensus? Do I need the 500-600lb capacity of something like a Pro Angler, or is it fine to push the limit of something like an Outback?
Somebody mentioned on here to figure out what you want to fish for prior to launching (the night before?) and only bring gear for that. When I run multiple rigs I never catch more than when I only fish with one rig. (Carolina rig + fly line for example). You do get into multiple tangles through the day and you end up carrying a lot more stuff.
You really don’t need that much. One Plano box should be more than enough to cover all your sinkers, jigs and hooks. Add a spool of leader and you should be set. One rod for bait/bass, one rod for fly line or dropper loop and you should be all set. It’s just lot easier to stay organize as well.
Don’t forget your PFD, does not wait anything. Headlamp is a good idea when that marine layer does not burn off in the AM.
Uncle_Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote