View Single Post
Old 08-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #7
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsdad619 View Post
Chris, great post and video!..what Lowrance do you have? I have the Elite 4 and can't get those kind of marks on mine..which settings do you use?
Elite 4x HDI... Manual mode, auto depth. The settings depend on the depth and clarity of the water. you have to increase sensitivity the deeper you are. In deep water you essentially set the highest sensitivity you can without "washing out" the return. Colorline you mess with once you know you have a clear return of some object that you know for sure what it is ie the bottom, bullkelp, finbait, sea lion etc. You could use the "surface clarity" function which cancels out the noise from the surface. I don't bother with it, as I'm not even looking in the top 30ish' of water when i'm out that deep. In these shots, i have 200khz gain turned down a bit to avoid all the noise associated with zooplankton blooms, red crab, micro finbait etc which only show up on 200khz

Hope that helps. the key for these cheap crappy FFs is using dual frequency display. If the marks only show up on 200khz and not 83, its likely not a game fish. once you get deeper, manually set the range to 250 or 300' to get good resolution in the target depth. If you have 500+' of water on the screen, a big fish will barely be 1 pixel thick.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote