View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 06:26 AM   #15
Fishngolf70

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLSTER INC. View Post
Should be circling catalina by now! Update please!!!!!
So as the title says I was just not geared up for a fight like this. I was very safe and had my jacket on, radio going, GPS, etc, but about a mile and a half into it you start thinking...is this beast even getting tired yet? how many miles is safe to be able to get back? Right about then a boat cruised up within shouting distance and I told them what was going on and they hung out for a while. The captain says you need to button down that drag to even have a chance on a fish like that. So I Buttoned down the drag and started fighting, they said they would hang out if I was going to make it happen so that's what I tried to do. That was another 30 minutes of totally getting my but kicked as I think that he just found out he was hooked. He headed straight down a couple hundred feet and started cruising again while I had a huge load on the rod and couldn't budge him. Finally 2 hours / 3 miles into it SNAP my rod breaks off at about the 4 1/2 foot mark...I tried to continue and SNAP my 65# spectra breaks right at the top eye with no more flex in the rod. The guys in the boat take off and I just sat there for a minute thinking about what just happened...awesome!

And with a big smile on my face pedaled back to the harbor.
Fishngolf70 is offline   Reply With Quote