View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 06:44 AM   #9
jbl_91762

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON KSO View Post
Interesting.

My daughter and I the east side this Sunday. On the water by 7:30am, tide coming in, lots of water moving, light wind. It seemed like it was going to be a good day to log some spotties.

The first two hours we were fishing in a morgue. Totally dead.

I'm talking no hits, no fish, nothing type of slow. My daughter was fishing Gulp Shrimp - everything eats Gulp shrimp, right? Evidently not. She switched it out to a rootbeer colored plastic curly tail- the ribbed ones you can buy at Fisherman's Landing- the money bait, all-time-greatest hit spottie killer. Even coated it with Uni butter. Yawn. No love.

We made the paddle out to the flats in front of the giant off-loading dock - nada.

It wasn't until we paddled around the parking lot and into the pilings that we started grinding out a fish here and a fish there. All spotties (well one mackerel too) and all of them tucked up into the shadows of the docks. This was about three hours into the day - we kept grinding it out, a fish here, a fish there. We just kept working at it.

At high tide it seemed like we detected a pulse but by then In 'n Out was on our minds and there was no denying it anymore.

We ended the day with about eight fish between us - way, way slower and lower numbers than we'd been used to picking up when fishing the east side. My finder was reading 78 degrees and I'm starting to think that the water's getting too warm.

Total conjecture: I think the fish are moving. I actually have no idea what I'm talking about but it seems like something happened in the last week and a half. Anybody else got a theory - the skunk seems to be thick right now.
I've had friends return from 3 and 5 days of fishing trips in Mexico and they were super slow as well. I failed to mention as fishing the kelp beds near a party boat, I watched and nobody was pulling in fish for the exception of 1 lucky angler who pulled in a WSB which was the only excitement for 2.5 hours. I think waters are too warm as well...
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote