View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
taggermike

There are many good beginner kayaks out there. And just because it's a better beginner yak doesn't mean it's not a good kayak in general. You may want to start with a used boat that already has basic rigging or you can buy some thing new and do it yourself. I started on a Cobra Fish and Dive. This was about the original fishing kayak. Very stable, plenty of room, comfortable, but heavy and not a fast yak. I would recomend staying away from very narrow boats like the Scupper Pro or early Prowler if you are an inexperienced paddler. You might think about test paddling some of the Malibu kayaks line; with the Xfactor at the top. It's a decent ballance between speed and stability. Do some searches or check out kayak reviews for more info on specific boats. I would suggest you start paddling and fishing in MB or SD Bay. Get to know your kayak with out having to deal with surf or swells. There are plenty of fish to catch in our bays too. As for rods, man that's tough to narrow down. What do you want to fish for. The gear I use in the bay is not good for yellows in La Jolla. For the bays any decent out fit, spinning or casting, that will handle 10 lb line and a 1/2 ounce jig head will be fine. And a last word; tether you gear. I hope that helped a little. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote