View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #1
ProfessorLongArms

Lowrance Glitched out... Ditched it for a Garmin- Here's why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9evqcTYNz4

Last time I had trouble with my Hook5, it turned out to just be a bad battery.
This time around, I'm on brand new batteries and it's consistent across two sets of connectors on two different Kayaks.

In the video, the unit has been on for about 15 mins. Works fine, then the screen dims, I get the brightness screen like I just tapped the power button, it freezes, and powers down. Last trip out, I was forced to use the map in 30 second bursts if it'd say on for that long.

As you can see with the multimeter connected to the Battery, the voltage doesn't really drop to a level that would cause a power-down.

One thing I noticed is I can't do a hard reset anymore which is weird, and the power button is non responsive once it gets into that cycle of powering down after 60-90 seconds.

I'm out of warranty, but was (thanks to Andy's advice) able to get a Westmarine warranty.

I'm tempted to just upgrade with store credit to a Hook2 5x, (Or another line altogether for that matter... all that really matters to me is that I can upload waypoints and that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg) though I've already invested in a second transducer/power setup for my 2nd kayak that only works with this one. Any thoughts?

Last edited by ProfessorLongArms; 01-31-2020 at 12:59 PM.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote