View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
ProfessorLongArms

Thanks for the input.

This was actually trip number two where the behavior had consistently showed up. Between trips, I ordered a set of carb files and made every contact I could find bright. . . Still nothing.

I realized I just activated my Westmarine warranty with my factory one dying off, so I went in to see what they could do for me.
Awesome manager at the MDR store.
Didn't ask to see the transducer.
Just took the head unit and gave me full credit on what I paid since the old Hooks are no longer in the line.
Again, thanks for the tip Andy. I'll never buy anything of consequence from WM without the extended warranty.

I wanted to have the same transducer on two kayaks, but ideally the option to switch the head unit between the two.
Trackback has been nice, and lowrance is *Decent* but after a bunch of research I went with Garmin.

In case it's of use, here's why-

1) their Echomaps 4 is on clearance right now, and that's the only model south of 400 bucks that will let you download/upload waypoints either by wifi or SD card. (https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmi...3?recordNum=92 )
Probably a sign they're getting ready to release... they're definitely due after almost 4 years, but I'll take the deal
Small screen was the biggest drawback, but the 5 inch screen was more than I want to spend and the Striker 5 has no SD card or Wifi compatibility.
Plus I've still got 20/15 so I'm gonna use it til it's gone

2) I really like the looks of these features where you can (as with raymarine and Humminbird) paint the map with the terrain as the sonar picks it up.
That's a huge feature for me since I'm often scouting dive spots when I'm out fishing.

3)Also looks like their version of downscan (clearvu) goes much deeper than Lowrance, and I practically never used it deeper than 50 feet.

4) Interchangeability- Originally, I just bought a spare transducer/power cable for my 2nd kayak and just used my head unit/battery interchangeably.

I was tempted to get a cheap hook2 4x for when I take people out so they'd have a unit, but it looks like the transducers are non-interchangeable with the 5x.

The Humminbird Helix 5 looks *nice* but I'd need to shell out a good bit of money if I ever wanted a second unit that's compatible.

The Garmin Striker series actually uses the same transducer and I'm able to get a Striker 4 plus refurbished for about 150 bucks with an identical transducer.
That's pretty crazy cheap considering their transducers go for about 100 bucks, *and* a twenty dollar power cable.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote