View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 07:50 PM   #10
grey zone

Lit-up1, I made a similar trip to The Kenai peninsula in Aug 2002. We left on the 16th and drove to Homer from Anchorage where we stayed for 5 days then went back to Seward. The locals seemed to think Aug was the best month, no mosquitos but more rain so be prepared. The weather varied from bright sunshine, shorts and T-shits, to light rain. Temperatures ranged from mid 70s to mid 50s. Aug is the month of the silver salmon, so you don't need the heavy tackle 8-12lb would do fine from shore. The Kenai is a good size river, if your by Soldonta go to the visitors center and walk down the corrigated stairs to the river. I watched anglers snagging 3-5lb pinks left and right trying to catch silvers which are highly prized for there eating qualities. If you get a chance drive to Homer, nice road and the view is incredible looking at the glaciers across Kachemak bay. Homer calls itself the halibut capital of the world, but the boat ride to the prime grounds is 2 hours. I fished from shore one evening at a place called the Fishing Hole and had good luck catching a king and silver salmon on a blue fox #5 while the only other salmon I saw caught were by locals using roe. I saw someone else catch one the day before on the same luhr so I bought one. Good luck, I'm not trying to steel Andys thunder but I get excited just thinking about the place. Randy
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote