Thread: Sail Fish
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2015, 08:35 AM   #1
ctfphoto

Sail Fish

So I decided to go to La Jolla Saturday to try for some yellows and try out my new sail while fishing on my new Outback. Andy set my wife and I up with two sails and a new outback. We have been sailing in the bay and I wanted to try La Jolla as there is always an afternoon westerly wind that could bring me back to the shores on wind only.

I take my time getting out as this is a test run. Run into two guys on a boat who ask if I have a pair of sharp dikes as one has a huge treble hook through his finger, ouch looks like he pulled a Yani. I did not but learned that I should have sharp dikes around.

Onto making bait, kinda hard but get two greenies and decide its time to fish. Start trolling around and get both my baits short bit by yellows. No live bait left, wind picking up, time to sail around and look for bait fish. Couldn’t find any so what the heck, let’s go drop some squid down for rockfish. Start rock fishing and before long slam, cool a huge rock fish or lingcod coming up. Big fighting fish, cool. See color and it’s a nice large 18 inch Calico. I do not target calico anymore, but love the taste and decided to harvest this one, the only one this year I think. The fish looked very tasty.

So I got dinner, getting windy, time to sail in and see how she does.

Run into these two guys fishing their very first time in a canoe and give them some fishing tips. A few minutes later they flip, and ocean rescue time! (See other Thread).

After that epic event, I decided to go back to the launch on wind alone. This works awesome. Would be great at the end of a very long day. I average about 2 miles an hour with the wind which is slower than peddling but very relaxing. Dang, shouda brought a cold beer.

Stowed the sail upright and landed peddling in and caught a big wave. Finally getting used to landing the outback. Sailing Rudder helps for sure.

Time for a tasty dinner …….
Attached Images

Last edited by ctfphoto; 10-19-2015 at 04:45 PM.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote