View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 11:20 AM   #20
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender0240 View Post
Billy, out of curiosity, what do you see as the advantage of a 3-way swivel rig over a sliding rig like a Carolina or Fish Finder Rig?

It would seem to me the sliding rig would give more sensitivity to the bite and would let the bait swim a little more freely?
It keeps the grass and other stuff off the leader line with the hook -
- and I believe it gives halibut a better chance to see your bait because it elevated slightly higher.

Most of the time I fish with the reel in freespool with my thumb on the spool feeling for a bite. If I feel that characteristic (thump thump) I will click it into gear and try to set the hook. (I don't let them run, or wait to eat it like I would fish for yellowtail.)

- over the years I have noticed big/or medium big halibut either swallow the bait completely on the strike, Or bite it, then swallow it down.
- I have noticed they have kind of a distinct "thump thump" to their bite.
Mostly - LOL as Iceman says - there are "no guarantees"

If I use a light torpedo sinker, like a 4oz or maximum 6oz, I can feel that thump almost every time - and click over the gear lever on the (saltist) and try to set a hook.

- Even if I get Bass Bit - or hook a Calico - it would be time to change a bait anyway! So no harm, no foul.
-------------------
That's just one way I like to fish for them (rod in hand) if on the boat.
You have a little more luxury to set out a few different rigs at the same time, for obvious reasons.
- Like a sliding (adjustable) Octopus J hook (tied with a nail knot) (not a snell)- then direct tied to a 3x strong mustad treble (matching the bait size).
- There are other old school rigs I like to use too.

- The kayak is a little different, sometimes you need those hands to paddle...
Even with my Hobie, I would try to lay the rod across my lap while peddling/steering/drifting - to watch and feel for that thump.
-------------------------
- The First fish I ever caught in La Jolla, (besides bait) was a 28.5 lb Halibut, and it handed me my ass!

I did it all wrong and gaffed it in the loin - then it went Nuts and broke the promar adjustable gaff into 2 pieces (there is rope inside of it)so it holds together.

As my friends laughed their asses off.....and were snapping embarrassing pictures - they threw me another gaff which I quickly use to stick the fish....again.
- and now had 2 gaffs stuck into this crazy fish (kicking my ass)
Both hands full - and 2 googans laughing their ass off.

I've been addicted ever since. - Sorry for the BIG PIC - I don't know how to resize it!

Last edited by Billy V; 11-28-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote