View Single Post
Old 11-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #30
Mr_Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
You don't need a full sized truck to pull a small boat. But a full sized bed is nice for carry yaks n small boats.

I'll drop a thought that others have not mentioned. Baja can be brutal on trucks. Auto accidents, crappy roads, hitting live stock, possibly losing a truck to Mexican law enforcement, and the strangely common fate of getting stuck in the sand with a rising tide.

A buddy of mine had an amazing Sports Mobile custom 4x4 camper van. It didn't break his bank but he found he was feeling anxious about the value of the vehicle. He sold it and got a older dodge 4x4 diesel truck. Thing runs like a top but is ugly as shit with dents, Bondo, and mismatch body panels. It can go any where, tow any thing, parts are available in Baja, and we never attract unwanted attention from law enforcement.

His logic of getting this truck was that if some thing bad happened he could grab his ID, a few valuables, and walk away from it w/o being our a bunch for and broken hearted.

This might not apply to you if you're mostly in the US. But when I see guys in Baja with epic trucks that they still owe 50k on I wonder how they'd handle abandoning it. Mike
You noted precisely why I HATE going to Mexico.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote