Thread: FWI GONZAGA
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 07:14 AM   #10
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post
Great news on the gill net ban. Do you know if the ban extends all the way down to Gonzage bay.
My understanding is that the ban does not extend but a bit south of Puertacitos. Trying to protect the Vaquita and not the Totuaba which I fear is a bit too late. Like all of these proclamations that the Mexican government makes, it comes down to enforcement. If there is no means or desire to enforce these regulations, then .... Living in a Mexican fishing community, I can see both sides of the issue. These folks feed their families from the money they make from the sea. It is a hard life and not much of a living but some kind of enforceable regulations have to be put on these guys. Anyone who has fished Baja for the last 10 years will tell you that the fishery is nothing like it was 10 years ago, and the SOC has been hit the hardest. If we could only convince the Chinese that sea lion bladders have some magical powers....
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote