View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
Grego

Patriotic question indeed. If I recall correctly, if you're on post (or sometimes right outside the gate since you can't come in anyhow since the guards are saluting) then you give the proper respects of...attention/salute....or maybe parade rest?, regardless of what's being conducted (ie. if your driving you pull over, get out of your car and go to attention or salute or parade rest? can't remember .

1. Since you're sitting in a kayak, you aren't able to give the proper respects anyhow, and 2. not being in service any longer, I don't believe you're held accountable to follow those traditions.

However, since you're patriotic like me, I know on a couple occasions while hearing morning colors as a civilian at the AFRC I just sat quietly and proud, and reflected on my personal service and loosely remembered the several times I had to serve as honor guard and raise the flag. And, you know what....if someone came up to me during that time and talked to me I wouldn't ignore them or tell him/her to shut the F up, I'd probably just tell them to hold on a second and then educate them on the tradition. So without a doubt, I personally would be setting the hook and thinking "Fish On!!!!...God is thanking me for my service"

Last edited by Grego; 03-09-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote