View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #85
Big T
Member, You Member!

Condemning someone for racism, seems to be about the same thing as insulting someone's level of education. Don't you think?

I'd challenge ANYONE to call my Uncle a racist... He's a highly edjucated Retired Lt. Commander of Seal Teams with all the Vietnam and later honors that goes with that title along with thousands of hours of humanitarian work in Africa and Kuwait. He currently trains corporations on how to "get along" with each other and within the companies themselves...

Those "highly educated" Asians do just that... they get educated and go to work with their skills to build their family legacy/strength or to just make the family name more respected. THAT in itself is a general stereotype, I know... but generally... that's the case and we all know it. Uneducated or not "Asian-level" educated people contribute to the world in so many ways that I could care less that they say "oriental" What a waste of energy... especially nowdays.

To THIS DAY he cannot get "oriental" out of his vocabulary. It's just a habit. He was raised to say that. When we tried to "educate" him, we got a look you can only get from a Navy Seal with big scars and just walk away.

I don't think it's an insult at all. People have turned it into an insult just to be difficult and have more distinct identity. Fine, so be it. That is YOUR hang up.

I'm not educated past HS and I still say Asian, but used to say oriental... and even ornamental when I didn't know any better or were with my honky friends.

But to make a big stink about it? Really? Get a life.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote