View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #24
Phishphood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattamatta View Post
I haven't done it yet, but I've had this idea to start out the day by catching some (hopefully) big mackerel when making bait, fillet one then and there, and start it curing in salt/vinegar to make some fresh shime saba (cured mackerel sashimi). Should be just about ready by lunch time.

I actually brought a baggie full of salt and a bottle of rice vinegar last time I went out, but didn't end up trying it, even though I caught a solid mackerel (the only thing biting that day...)
Don't forget to remove that outer skin layer....But I definitely might try that. Might also want to bring out a small baggie of cooked rice and a baggie of ice to keep the curing mac meat in.

Personally I usually bring about 20oz of water I rarely ever touch. Just started bringing an RX bar in my PFD pocket for a snack if I get hungry. Usually just don't eat or drink anything from the 0600 launch til about 1300...if I brought food and drink my wife would definitely have a problem with how long I stay out at la jolla...
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote