View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
goldenglory18

eBay auction not as advertised - negotiate or return?

All,

New reel(s) day just turned sour. I opened the USPS box, expecting to see two new-in-box Penn Squall 30LD's, and then I was let down. Not only were the two reels used, not adequately represented in the pictures (side plate and frame abrasions) and obviously misrepresented, but they absolutely reek of old cigarette smoke.

So, I politely email the seller and ask for a refund. He apologies, tells me it was an honest mistake :eyeroll: and says he will follow up tomorrow. The next day (today,) he sends me an offer.

Original final bid/sale price: $209
Counter offer in lieu of return: $125

The reels seem to be in fine operating condition, but I'd want to get them serviced just in case, as well as attempt to get the nasty smell out of them before they get spooled up. They do both have the clamps and wrench included, and I'm pretty sure the paperwork was in the box(es) as well.

So...thoughts on the subject? He seems amicable, so if I really don't want these it sounds like its a full refund waiting. BUT, I'm also a sucker for a deal. If $125 isn't a steal for these two reels, then what price is? At what point would this be an economically must-do deal? Also, how much would reels like this costs to service? I have to take that into consideration as its a must-do before they are deemed usable to me.

Thanks all....

- Kenny
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote