View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #9
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Thanks all. C'mon up! Believe me, I get every bit as envious watching your catches from up here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
so to be clear... if for some reason you fall out of your yak.... without the suit you'd be dead in about 20 minutes?

and we are crying over a few HH sharks.

Great stuff. thanks for sharing how you do it up there.
1 minute to control breathing. 10 minutes of useful motion. 1 hr to unconsciousness...if you don't drown first. So better and worse. Better, you won't be dead after just twenty minutes with a pfd. Worse because after ten minutes, you are aware for an hour BUT after ten minutes you can't do anything about it...you just bob around till someone saves you or...

But with insulated drysuit (fleece layers under neath.) survival times is "indefinite" I am pretty sure I saw in a Coast Guard video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose1993 View Post
Very nice!!!!!

What length rods are you guys using? I know a lot of guys use long rods while salmon fishing, but I feel like that would be a pain when fishing out of a kayak.
I think my son's is an 8 footer. I have a 8'6" rod. But my preference is short heavy sticks. Right now I am using the Seeker Hercules SR260 I think. 6ft rated 40 to 80 pound braid...I think. I like the 6 foolish Shimano Trevala Xtra Heavy action sticks. Much easier to control the fish at netting but not sure I would use them in a barbless area.

Even with my down rigger I like these short sticks. That big bend theory is a myth in my book. the few feet you gain from the snap is lost in the blow back and the angle of the line at any depth that means anything. I like my rod to bury the hook when it comes tight. Most of my fish swim with the bait after strike so you need a solid hook set. My preference is to pedal like crazy and let the stout stick bury the hook. I should add I can do that since I run 50 pound braid and 40 to 80 pound fluoro leader. Thickness is good for multiple fish which includes the dozens of pollock I catch with tiny but razor sharp teeth.
Kardinal_84 is offline   Reply With Quote