View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 03:42 AM   #55
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

The exchange rate on pesos to dollars broke through the 18 peso mark today. For those of you who that are taking some trips to Baja I just wanted to give a couple suggestions on taking advantage of these rates. First of all I would suggest that you shop around for the best exchange rate use pesos wherever you can. At least in my area I have not seen any significant price changes as a result of the weak peso but there really doesn't seem to be any consistantcy in what a retailer or service provider uses as the exchange rate. It could be 14.5 or could be 17.5. You won't know unless you ask and once you know they are not apt to change it just because you tell them it should be different. Fuel and lodging are going to be your big ticket items. Mexico lowered it's maximum fuel price by 3 percent on January 1st but again you are at there mercy when it comes to the exchange rate. Some places will have it posted, some will not. The Pemex station in Asuncion is at 17 but the Pemex in Gonzaga was at 15 over Christmas. You can now shop for lower fuel prices because Pemex stations can charge what they want without exceeding the maximum but if you at their mercy on the exchange rate, any savings could dissappear if you use dollars. So shop for your pesos and use them wherever you can.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote