View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
joefish808

Dana Point 10/19/15

I've been posting here, but I'm pretty new. I usually fish out of an inflatable, but sometimes fish out of a yak when my brother's in town. Hope you don't mind me posting here, as I fished from an inflatable inshore today. I identify more with the kayakers than private boaters.

Started around 9ish to overcast conditions, 3-4 foot swells, around 6-8 mph winds, but the water was a nice blue, very little salad. A few days ago the water was full of chlorophyll and it was tough to get a bite.

Started casting jigs for nada for the first 15-20 minutes. Then started getting better marks and started catching 16-18" bonito, which is still fun to me on the bass gear.

I spotted some macs poppin' at the surface, which was surprising because I haven't seen too many boils out of Dana in a while. Started casting the Kroc but didn't get too many mack takers. Based on the way the boil was moving it looked like something was causing havoc, so I started casting a bit a way from the action and then I got hit. 23" in size, some sort of tuna I gather. On my 200 Curado it was pretty fun. I think it's a type of tuna but can't verify what type it is. No teeth, tuna shape. Any guesses? Bullet tuna?

I caught a few more bonito, macks and occasional short calico , then about 40 minutes later I landed a 28" bonito. Never get tired of catching big bonita. Trolled a live greenback hoping for a yellow, but that never materialized, left around 2ish since I wanted to keep mystery tuna fresh and my ice was nearly gone. It was a good day of fishing in my book since I don't get many days of nearly non stop action for a few hours.
Attached Images

joefish808 is offline   Reply With Quote