View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
yaky yak

Got a big one.....

Got a big one right in the chest after launching Saturday morning at gray light. I paddled out past all the waves and was pulling my glasses out of their water proof case and putting the leash on my paddle when I notice an extra big swell coming in heading my way. As I watched it it was getting steeper as it got closer, then I realized it was going to break right on top of me, HOLY hell. I started paddling like crazy so I'd have a little forward momentum then it hit me. and hit me it did. It was a wall of water. It was so steep I thought it would lift up the front of the kayak flip it end over end, but my prowler punched throu it. when I popped up like a cork I was still paddling forward and moving backwards.
Insane. The waves weren't even that big yesterday. Crazy.
Oh I want to thank the guys who help me get my kia out of the sand yesterday morning,first pushing then using Aarons truck. First time in 5 years of coming to La Jolla I've gotting stuck.
I thought it'ed be a mad house out there but it wasn't that bad 8 or 10 power boats and that many kayaks, and the party boats. I made bait pretty easily and trolled a mack around all day, and yo yo'ed and cast a jig at bait balls. All I caught was a ugly looking rock fish on the sibiki, and tossed him back.
I didn't see any one catch any think but did hear some hopping and hollering here and there off in the distance.
At one point there must of been 15 or so jet ski's ripping though the fishing grounds. That was nice
So to sum it all up, stuck in the sand, sneaker wave in the chest, jet ski's, no hot babes on the beach. Not my best trip, but it beats being home watching t.v. and I didn't lose nothing. So a successful trip for me.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote