View Single Post
Old 08-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #1
Fishngolf70

Kayak & Yellowtail gear just wasn't enough....WOW! El Nino is here!!!

Today is a day that I will never forget. It started out fairly normal , I like many others have got into the saltwater frenzy with el nino producing fantastic catches for many. I am a longtime bass guy that has ventured into the saltwater a little bit from time to time but never very seriously. Recently I bought a kayak again, Hobie Oasis tandem, so the girlfriend and I could get out into the harbor and do some fishing. I kept seeing all of these posts and knew I wanted to get out there in the big blue for the big boys. I kept reading and put together a collection of gear and had this weekend all to myself so this was the time to do it. Saturday I went out of Newport Harbor after seeing the yellowtail post and made bait for the first time (cat food) and proceeded to cover miles of water without a single strike...bummer. I had one more day so decided to go down to Dana point after reading several posts that some good fish were coming out of that area, Iceman, Yani, etc. Went out to make bait with my confidence from the day before and had a tough time, 1 spanish and 1 small something so I swallowed my pride and went back into the bait barge at 8:30am for some sardines and off I go. Getting off to a later start I was conflicted....stay fairly close or just go for it and start pedaling out and see what happens. Out I went and this is what happened about three miles out...

https://youtu.be/xsR8CRDSI0g
Fishngolf70 is offline   Reply With Quote