View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Your "Go To" Surface and Yo Yo Iron

In reading some past reports from here an other sites (since there's really nothing I can do on the water today) I am surprised at what I read sometimes. For example:

One opinion I've read is that La Jolla is a "small surface iron" fishery. Smaller Tady's and Salas Lures like the J-Pot and 7x Jr. are the "hot ticket". Kind of a blanket statement and maybe bullshit? You sages tell me.

Other opinions are all about fishing the yo yo both as a surface iron and a deep iron. I don't know why other than I guess you can cover the entire water column? To me, this makes no sense. Yo Yo's swim like shit. Actually, they pretty much just spin. Great for a ripping reaction bite down deep, but no way in hell can they possibly be a better choice up in the water column.

Even though we all know that there are no yellowtail in La Jolla, if, by happenstance, you are fishing La Jolla, and if, for some reason, you find a stray spot of yellowtail that got lost, what would you feel most comfortable chucking at them?

On the Surface?

Yo Yo?

Sizes? Does size matter?

Color, if it even matters to you?

Since I am a relative La Jolla newb, and definitely a La Jolla kayak newb I just have to go with what I've known to work for me at places not named La Jolla:

Surface: 544 Lures Candy Bar 112, Tady 45, Salas 7x (if you don't know about 544 plugs you are missing out)
Yo Yo: Tady 4/0, Salas 6x Jr

Colors: Yes, color matters, and no, color does NOT matter. I know that action trumps color as I have a few irons with no color left on them, but when I buy I always seem to end up with the following in order of importance to me for local areas:

Surface: Mint, Mint/White, Blue/White, Dorado

Yo Yo: Blue/White, Scrambled Egg, White, Dorado

So, let's hear it fellas!
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote