View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #8
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

OK, I figured it out:

5 quart mixing bucket, Home Depot paint department.

$2.77 including tax

2" deeper than the Hobie bucket, without the useless obstruction they mold into theirs under the latch.

Drops in for a perfect snug fit.

I took my bait tank into the store with me to try various size buckets. The curve I cut off with my belt sander clears the latch mechanism. I sliced off the handle holders and 4 small casting bumps under the top lip with a razor knife.

This gives me more unencumbered storage space for $2.77 than the official Hobie bucket for $30.

I am replete and my universe is back in balance. It's time to pour a glass of wine

AFTERTHOUGHT: I use a battery holder for my fish finder that hangs from the lip of my Outback back hatch. I think this bucket might fit together WITH my battery holder, thereby providing more accessible storage space for emergency tools and repair supplies that I don't normally need, but want to keep onboard for when I do: screwdriver, rescue tape, first aid items, paracord, etc. These can all be stored under my battery in Ziploc bags to keep them fresh and protected. The back hatch keeps things I don't normally need out of my way.

AFTER-AFTERTHOUGHT: I have to check the depth. Maybe that's why Hobie makes their deep gear bucket short - so it fits all the hatches. I've already started relaxing with my glass of wine, so that idea will have to wait for tomorrow. I've clocked out for today.

This might be where Mahigeer's red bag link might work better --- more random storage volume in a water tight bag that conforms to available hull space.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 11-01-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote