Thread: Advice?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #40
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net View Post
Ok guys, time to get this thread started again. This is what I have been up to in planning for my trip:

I have got a pretty good handle on the RP knot for braid to fluoro/mono. I've used it, its easy to tie, and it works. This will be my go to knot for this application.

I have learned my go to knot for mono/fluoro to hook will be the improved clinch. I was taught this knot from the very beginning and it works for me. I have confidence in it and I can tie it quickly.

My thoughts on braid.... I think it is a necessary evil! I tried it and I don't like using braid straight to fluoro top shot. I don't like casting the braid, it's kind of touchy casting wise. So, I will use braid as backing, then mono to a 3-5' top shot of fluoro. Thoughts?

Rods... I think I have (and let me know if this is overkill) about ten rods/reels. Here is the line up: 1 light bass type outfit, 2 20-25# outfits, 3 30-40#, 1 surface iron, 1 40-50# with a two speed reel, and 2 50-60#.

As far as misc tackle, I will have extra mono and fluoro, weights from light rubber core and egg sinkers to varying sizes of torpedos. I will have light and heavy irons, a squid jig, varying sabikis and that's it I think.

So, am I on the right track here? I have gotten some good advice from you guys and I appreciate it.

Janine
Sounds like you did your homework.
I have some thoughts on some of your concerns.
Don't forget sunscreen!!!
You might want to pack some reel oil/grease for emergencies (optional if you know how to service reels).
If your not going to 'use' braid then why use it as backing (not meant to be sarcastic!), just go straight mono with a fluoro leader. Why take a chance on losing a fish on an unnecessary (IMO) knot? Plus with the price of braid, why pay for something that you don't plan on relying on? Plus it will take twice as much (or so) to fill as mono!
Also in one of your previous comments, if your going to use Mustads then I'd suggest buying a hook file. The reason most people will purchase the "Gucci" hooks is because they come out of the package needle sharp.
Do the fingernail test (old school) on a couple of hooks. Lightly stick a hook into a fingernail and pull (preferably thumb) and see if it "sticks" if it doesn't then you need to sharpen it until it does. When you do use the triangle style of shape.
I learned to do this decades ago and now since Mustad 34007 SS hooks are my go to fly hooks I keep one handy in my tackle box (7691ss are also my favorites for my single hook replacements for my jigs).
Here's a title search for a 4" hook file on eBay (I just bought one!).
4" Hook File W/ Handle High-Carbon Steel Cutting Edge +STANLESS ICE PICK. Offer 7.50, it should be accepted (mine was)!
Just my thoughts,
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote