View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #14
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
I went out today as well. It was my first time on the water in a couple of years as I recovered from replacing a couple worn out knees. I also had a new fish finder that I had never used before. I must have hit the button that says "hide all fish and bait" because I could not find any signs of life anywhere. Time to read the manual more carefully.

Fortunately, a nice guy on a PA gave me a couple greenbacks. Unfortunately the only bites I got where from sea lions.

I did not see anyone actually catch anything but my bait donor told me he had a nice yellow on board. I also ran across a young couple on a PB who found a hungry ling cod congregation and managed to land four in just a few minutes. (I have only caught one of those in my life)

The worst part of my trip was due to not checking out the condition of the launch before heading out. How could it not be fixed by now? Of course I left my wheels at home so I had to schlep 86 pounds of kayak balanced on my head down to the water, followed by a bunch more trips for all the gear. This was relatively easy at 7 am but after peddling around on the water for five hours, transporting the kayak and all the gear back to the car was exhausting.

The good news is that the knees held up well so I will be back out again soon, hopefully with a better understanding as to how my FF works. Note to self. Bring wheels whether you think you will need them or not.

Bob
I also have new knees, my biggest problem is after being on the water for a few hours my knees are kind of locked up so I am not to agile on my feet when I get out of the kayak. The first few months after the surgery were really bad as I was getting knocked down by the slightest water movement. I can do better now but I haven't tried La Jolla yet. I need to out with someone the first trip out.