View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Fiskadoro

So that was a pretty interesting read for me.

There were a few things I liked or found worth thinking about.

Big baits= Big fish...

I agree. I've hooked a lot of big fish on Macks, Brownbait, Smelt etc.. It's not always the ticket but it does produce big fish.

Humbolts for strip bait....

I've used smaller strips of humbolt squid with plastics for halibut, and it works. The best thing is it stays on the hook much longer then regular squid. That's said I never considered using big strip baits like he suggests though I imagine it would work.

Circle hooked trap rigs... (this one got me going)

Personally I don't like circle hooks, but the circle hook trap rig he shows for fishing live squid makes perfect sense. Unlike a treble trap the circle hook is cleaner visually and also less likely to pick eel grass and other junk when squid tries to hide itself in junk on the bottom. Like he says do to their speed and soft bodies big fish tend to inhale squid which gets the hooks deep enough to work and their soft bodies allow the hooks to pivot around and find the corner of the jaw. I think that rigging will not only work for butts but also yellowtail and C-bass. I may start trapping my dropper loop squid that way especially when there are Big butts hanging around La Jolla.

Spectra topshots?

This was a new idea to me. Splicing in only thirty feet of spectra as a topshot. The idea being that it will work for kelp cutting, but eliminate some backlash problems. hhhhmmmmmm.......

Since your almost always casting more then thirty feet, and since most backlashes occur at the end of the cast, this would eliminate much of the backlash issue of spectra, and since most kelp wrapping occurs next to the fish you can still cut kelp. Sounds plausible.

I could also see this used on party boats. Since the majority of tangles happen at the boat when some idiot crosses your line while your bait is still a good ways out, they'd tangle mono not spectra which would be easier to clear.

Personally I'll stick to my smaller superior dragged reels with magnetic cast controls, that I fill with spectra but that is an interesting idea for people still using traditional sized reels that have issues casting spectra.

Like I said worth the look, would be nice to see the whole version but I don't feel like spending the 35 bucks for the online book.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote