View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
Dirty Curti

Carlsbad Surf & Turf

got to the beach at about 6:30 to see one of my fellow NCC members unloading his kayak and was enthusiastic to hit the water. I wasn't so sure as there were some breakers rolling in from the swell the last couple of days. We see an occasional open window where we think we could charge it. So off to the beach we go.

Waiting for the appropriate time to go took a few minutes. Building courage to charge as the window opens and off I go. I hit the first swell just as it was ready to break I had the speed to bust through. I get a nice warm shower to keep me cool as the sun breaks the horizon and it's warm. Water temp 77+ degrees I make it out to see bait breaking everywhere.

[IMG][/IMG]

My partners never make it out. But he's got a good story to tell. I'll leave that for him to tell if he wants too.

I get no love from all of the bait boils so I move on to make bait for my day ahead. Lot's of Spanish macs all over. I take a few just in case. The green backs are hard to find again. Eventually I get one large and one small about the size of a sardine. It will have to do.

I get out to the grounds where I've been getting the good ones to bite this month. Trolled around for a good hour with the large mac in tow. I notice that the line has gone slack so I reel in and my 30 lb. leader is bit in half with some jagged edges. Some how I get bit off without my clicker ever going off. That was interesting. I pin on a large spanish and tow that one around for a good hour for nothing. I decided to start working my way in to the kelp line as it looked real fishy in the morning. All of a sudden I hear some hooting going on outside from a couple in a boat raft. I turn it around and head back to my spot and immediately get picked up.

One on board.

[IMG][/IMG]

I pin on the small greenie while I tend to the yellow on board. Within minutes the reel screems again. It's a good fight, feels like another yellow when all of a sudden color shows a big bonito. That was a toad, fought admirably. I let it go. I've never been a real fan of Bonito meat but after reading some posts here I might try it again.

I decided to head in dreading the landing that lies in my future. Approached the landing zone letting the set roll through and then paddle like the wind. Make the landing with no problem catching the white water all the way in.

Loaded up and make it home before 1:00 pm and made a nice dinner.

[IMG][/IMG]

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote