View Single Post
Old 11-30-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
YakMedic

Changing of the Guard

As some of you may already know or have noticed. I have been slowly stepping away from my position as Chapter Coordinator for SoCal Heroes on the Water. I’m now at a point in my life that I have decided it is time to leave HOW in the hands of some very capable volunteers. Effective immediately Mike Weist is the new Chapter Coordinator and I am certain that he is the right person to lead this chapter. With the amazing support of the SoCal HOW leadership team of Mike T., Jay, Bernie, Jackie, Ryan, and Josh, the SoCal Chapter will thrive.

Five years ago myself and three other people founded the Southern California Chapter. We got off to a fairly slow and rocky start in our first year hosting three events and serving a total of 40 participants. It took a few years and some repositioning of leadership at the local level to get to where we are today. This year we hosted 10 Vet events and served nearly 400 veterans and family members. With the help of the current volunteers the SoCal chapter has become a flagship chapter of the HOW organization.

I have put hundreds of hours and thousands of my own dollars into this chapter and I strongly believe in what HOW can do for the disabled vets. It is this belief that has kept me pushing forward including driving 300 miles round trip from my home in the mountains to San Diego for our monthly events. I have a rare opportunity to start an exciting new phase in my life and focus on my education. After five years of making HOW a priority in my life it is now time to focus on my family and myself.

I would like to personally thank every person who has came out and volunteered. OEX Mission Bay and Sunset Beach have been instrumental in the success of the chapter and they deserve special thanks. I have made many friends through HOW and have met some amazing people.

Thank You,
Grisso, Matt
Heroes on the Water
Former SoCal Chapter Coordinator

Last edited by YakMedic; 11-30-2015 at 12:53 PM.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote