View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
yellowtail55
The Highlander

6/3/07 Report-Our First WSB

My friend Aaron and I launched around 4:15am in our double and headed to the pier to make bait. Bait was present, but wasn't very interested in biting until right before the sun same up. We caught around 10 mixed macs(and one huge dine), but it took around an hour.

We headed towards off of the condo and trolled macs around some bait feeding along with the rest of the kayak armada. After about 45 minutes of working the area, we decided to head into deeper water. That didn't work either, so we returned to the boils, where we lost several bait to the dogs. It was extremely crowded out there today, so after around 3-4 hours of only a few cuda/bass, we thought that the elusive wsb might be scared of the large concentration of kayakers around.

Around 10:30, we decided to head to the kelp to catch some replacement bait and find some empty waters. We had several spanish and a few greenies after around 15 minutes. We then proceded to troll south along the kelp line. Around 1/2 an hour later, as we were trolling back, my friend Aaron hooked up on something decent. It took him into the kelp, and around 10-15 minutes we brought aboard a nice wsb (after I bounced a gaff off its head), the first legal we've ever landed in a kayak.
It was an extremely fat one, 47" and 36 pounds. It took 5 trips during the past month to get one, but time on the water finally paid off today.
Sorry that the on-the-water shot cuts off the bottom of the fish---the camera stopped working after the first shot.
Attached Images

yellowtail55 is offline   Reply With Quote