Thread: trolling macs
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Gotta nose hook em for trolling. If you butt hook you drag em backwards and kill them. You can also hook the mack under the the dorsal fin which makes them troll deeper. I switched from hooking my baits across the nose to going up thru the top jaw and out the top. This caused less foul hooking where the hook turns backward in to the baits' head. This season I have been rigging my baits with a bait needle like many east coast anglers do. I haven't been able to conduct a side by side comparison to see if the rigged get bit better. The baits definitely stay lively longer rigged than hooked. And I have yet to have a hook turn back in to the bait. Rigging also allows for the use of bigger hooks. For 8-10" macks I use 5/0 circle hooks. Mike

+1

I like collar hooking baits. Butt hooking I will do sometimes if I'm stopped and see deep fish. Just be prepared to only soak that bait once. As bringing it up from the bottom will either rip the flesh, or drown it. I also have switched from side nose hooking to up through top jaw and out. Too many hook spins. Usually don't fish bigger than 4/0 with 30lb flouro. Seguar premier is good stuff.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote