View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
FISH11

not much to report for LJ for 8/23/13

I went out yesterday (Sat. 24th.), got started a little late 7 AM. As I paddled towards the kelp to try and make bait, I passed by some kayaks fishing just north of the kelp. I noticed one guy fighting something so I hung out nearby to watch and saw him land a good size yellowtail. That got my hopes up since most of my recent trip there I had only heard of not seen the action. I continued on to the far out kelp and spent the next 1 1/2 hours trying to make bait I could see then but would not go for the sabiki. Finally I thought I'll just use the Irons or old squid I brought, then out north of the kelp I see bait jumping and I finally landed a few 7" to 9" bonitos. So I hook up the live bait and spend the next 7+ hours fly lining, bottom drifting, etc., with no results. Just had one bonito when I when to change it, it had some gashes on the belly. Saw the one catch and a couple of others on a boat and another kayak, otherwise it was a slow day. I did find out for another kayaker that the boundaries for the reserve where changed at the start of the year and it seems a lot of kayak fishermen are unaware and fish inside the new boundaries. I tried the link for android but it won't superimpose it on the map app. It would be nice if DFG would relocate or add buoys to mark the area better. I don't see Fish and Game out enforcing or educating anyone. If anyone is within the new area it seems it would be mostly DFG's fault. The water temp was not too low 69 to 72. I'll keep on trying I want to catch one of those 3' + yellowtail. Does anyone have any info on the La Jolla ans Scripps protected areas other than Iphone app. for those of us who don't own one.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote