View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
yaksailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
yaksailer, that is a nice tank. from the pictures it looks like you ran the battery wire thru your hull? also noticed that you had a hobie hatch on it, may i ask why not run the inlet thru the scupper and up into the tank like hobies?
could you take some more pictures of your setup? it looks real clean.

thanks
Here's some pics. I forgot to take a pic of the hole thru the hull, but that's pretty common; just a rubber stopper with a hole in it.

My 12 volt cell is in a Lock-n-Lock box. It's like it was made for this cell with 2 fuse holders:

It's a pretty standard mounting method, except for the dog collar. Yeah, the wiring is sloppy. I will be rewiring this soon. Goop works well, though. My first timer broke, but OEX replaced it, no problem. I think maybe I didn't have it sealed well enough. I gooped up the wire side and put electronics grease on the cap: should be good now.

I bought the Hobie drain to save time, but it turns out that I had to file out the ID of the collar. The tube didn't fit. Better to just buy a bulkhead fitting and 3/4" PVC tube.

Outside view. It does slide up and down to adjust the tank level.

Yeah, it's just a cheap 5 gallon diesel tank. It's sturdy, though. The spout cap really is useful for draining the tank. You really want a large drain. A little fill cap like the kind on a squirt gun won't cut-it when your ling coughs up an octopus or something worse.

One last thing: IMO Hobie kayaks are the best. I've owned 3 and would buy another.

Last edited by yaksailor; 06-14-2011 at 08:53 PM.
yaksailor is offline   Reply With Quote