View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #1
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

YT Collars and Bellies - Smoked

Wow, what an amazing summer! Guys, for years I have appreciated each and every fish I catch. And I have figured out many delicious recipes from this board and friends. But only recently did I discover a MAJOR find, for me.. some of you already know this.

A few years back I made a post about smoking YT and there were many great ideas, but I just want to remind those into smoking of what I have found:

1. Don't skip the collars or bellies! Oh My God.... I am gonna have smoked YT bellies for breakfast and throughout the day again. And the collars! Such good meat there! I went on a Party Boat last week, and I kept so many bellies that others just don't know about. And I have a silly amount myself.

2. For years I smoked at 225 degrees, and in an hour or less, they were done, and very good..... but now, OMG again, I smoke at under 200, such as 190, for 1.5 times as long.... SO MUCH BETTER! Much more moist, and smoky.

3. Maybe the biggest improvement is the "brine". I use to just slather fish in Teriyaki or soak for an hour or so..... but now with a real brine, maybe equal parts brown sugar and good salt, plus a little molasses which the kids love, and a good red ale, plus water.... soaked at least an hour, then rinsed off, then slow smoked..... this is BY FAR the best smoked fish I have ever been eating.

Try a smoked YT belly some time, and see if it ain't the best piece of fish you have ever tasted. Well, some salmon is hard to beat, and others are good, but I just wanted to share what has turned me from a fish "cook" to more of a "gourmet chef".

Catch 'em, then savor 'em, too worthy of a fish and resource to not enjoy 100%!

Cheers all!
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote