Thread: Meteor Shower
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #9
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

When is the last time you guys have been awake before sunrise at casa Mako? Certainly not while I was there. I have been taking in this Perceids meteor shower whenever possible for close to 50 years. It always peaks on the 12th 0r 13th of August and while I think it is quite spectacular in it's own right, it varies very little from year to year. I can't count the number of times that it was reported that "This year will be the best ever" Now this blurb went through FB that 2017 will be the best year in human history. Tried to track down the source of that claim and and it is pretty dubious. There is one Russian Astronomer that feels this will be a good year but many disagree with him. Some better sources would be sites like NASA, or EarthSky.org or even National Geographic. Believe me I will be out in the desert with my quad and zero gravity chair to watch it probably a couple nights but my expectations are not quite as high as the guy that thinks it will be the best in human history.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote