View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #3
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I usually catch mackerel, so that's usually my bait. Greenbacks seem to be more active than Spanish. They both last for a long time until they get raked or snatched by sea lions. It's more rare, but sometimes I catch jack smelt or lizard fish in the bay. Those work well too.

I've caught sardines before, but they seem to die too quickly, especially with a trap hook. I think without mackerels, or something more durable, I prefer to explore other rigs with artificial baits. When I'm making bait, I release sardines and wait for something better.

Maybe sardines are OK for smaller rigs like I might use with anchovies. Anchovies work well, but tend to catch more smaller fish so it broadens the target to include fish that might be too small to keep.

Maybe I haven't learned how to use sardines properly. That's entirely possible.

In the case of halibut, I think the "big bait, big fish" rule applies.

Personally, I try to target the fish I want to eat, in moderation, and I try to avoid collateral damage to fish I don't want to eat. This includes bait and other living creatures. I fish for food, exercise and for enjoying the beauty of nature. Slaying fish for conquest or sport is not my thing.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 03-21-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote