Thread: 05-04-08
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #10
THE DARKHORSE

I'm a big fan of C and R, but...........

I'm a big fan of C and R, but if there ever was a species that is thriveing and in need of being put in check the Thresher Shark (in local waters) is it. I had the oppasite experience of C.J. when I put my surface-iron just past a boil that looked like a #50 Yellowtail. Instant slam, fish on and for a moment it felt like the right kind. Drag ripping off the reel and then straight down for the dog fight. It was obvious after a minute (no tail-beats on the tip) that this wasn't what I had in mind. Just like C.J. my reel that was plenty tight with #30+ Yellowtail was wobbling on my Seeker Ulua and trying to slide forward (I used a Crocadile ring during the up and down battle to tighten the bolt). After thirty minutes she came by the kayak to have a look at me completely green and I almost shit . I've caught many a #50-#90 model and they come right to the boat with little effort and signifigant drag. This was no pup, a definate #200+ model. I noticed she was hooked in the pectoral fin before she sounded again (I have a chance). I was able put her on plane easier and short-pumped her up again using my crotch with a PFD for a gimble (or the 9' 3" stick would have broke my arm). I put a game plan together after multiple circles to get my new favorite-iron back (or I would of cut the line thirty minutes before). This wouldn't of been possible with the X-Factor, but with the new Hobie Mirage system it worked. She kept swimming and pulling hard, but after buttoning down the drag and leadering her with my hands a couple of times while pedaling (hands free fishing fishing) I achieved a previously impossible task. I used the rudder to duplicate the same size circle she kept doing, put the rod in the holder while holding onto the line, and used the pedals to keep my hands just in front of her head (away from the huge tail that had taken a couple of swings already). She seemed to gain confidence that I wasn't trying to kill her and cooperated. She was very strong and that damn tail never stopped, although no longer making attempts to dive down (again cooperating, as she was huge and could of easily ripped the line out of my hands). I knew I had to be quick, before she got pissed with my de-hooking efforts and I was losing light fast. On the third or fourth attempt (while constantly pedaling in a wide circle just ahead) with the gaff I was able to get my iron back (with a destroyed hook). I always laugh when someone tells me a #80 shark pulled them for a mile. I guess with 5LB's of drag this would be possible, but please. In this case it was true, (maybe half a mile) when I had to put extra effort to make it home in the dark. I have a new found respect for these fish and their incredible speed. I have never said this in a post or end of the month submission, but please "go get one". The other fish in the area will thank you and I'm sure your fish karma will go up a notch.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote