View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
SDdude

I arrived at the launch around 7am yesterday, and saw a guy in a minivan stuck in the sand. He apparently got stuck on the way out. He had already offloaded his yak and geared up, and was about to go park. Ooops.

While I was unloading my yak and gear, the guy in the tractor that pushes sand around tried to help him out, but the strap they tried to use broke. Just before I launched around 7:30, a tow truck arrived. I launched, and didn't see the outcome. So if that was the same minivan guy still stuck in the sand at 9am, then he must have *really* been stuck.

Back to fishing...

I spent almost the entire day out there. Launched at 7:30, landed at 5:30. For nothing. I only scraped up a few spanish for bait. I could meter the mackerel, and at times I could see them swimming around my boat, but I couldn't get them to bite my sabiki. Should have brought squid to tip the sabiki hooks. The ones I caught didn't work anyway. No bites. No birds. No surface bait. Nothing. The wind picked up around 2pm, too.

The big hilight of my day occurred when I saw 3 dolphins coming directly at me, head on. They passed right by me, two on my left and one on my right...like I wasn't even there. And just as they passed by my FF went nuts...the screen showed a big bait ball passing beneath me at a depth of about 10-30 ft. It was as if they were herding the bait ball. That was pretty cool.

I hope things pick up soon. It's been really slow out there the last few times I've been out. Or perhaps I should change my strategy and do some bottom fishing for ling...nahhhh.

--Raleigh
SDdude is offline   Reply With Quote