View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #13
Baja_Traveler

I've always peddled out to the first buoy 1.5 miles off the end of the jetty to start my drift. Prevailing wind will push me straight across the flats towards the Hotel Del. Then I'll peddle outside the surf line back north and work the outer structure of the jetty on my way back in. When there is no wind, or it is the wrong direction I slowly peddle more towards the military base, either bounce balling a hootchie, dragging a Carolina rigged curly tail or rarely (because I'm a sadist and refuse to fish live bait mostly), dropper looping a mackerel I sabiki'd off Ballast Point (mackerel always seem to be there).
Sometimes if the tide and swell is right I can cut through the jetty in the center where the swell washes over it - just time the incoming swell, get up a head of steam, then hold the Mirage fins up against the hull when I pass over the rocks 1-2 feet under me. Saves about a mile of peddling after a long day, but shouldn't be attempted on larger swell days...

That little cove just above the "32" on the inside of Point Loma on the MPA map is also a great spot to fly fish for calicos. Always had good success in there...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote