View Single Post
Old 10-25-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
Hammerhead_77

SD Bay10/23 and a brain fart

I've got a freezer full of YT, Tuna and Dorado from this awesome year we've been having and i haven't been on the yak for a long time, so I figured i'd go hit the bay and try to fool some halibut and see if the spotties want to play.

Got a $10 scoop of mixed dines and chovie and headed out for the last bouys and the area inside the kelp at the end of the point (outside the closed area, of course). no wind early and rode the outgoing tide for the first time ever (I always seem to go against that tide both ways!)

reverse dropper loop and sliding halibut rig were working with both chovie and dines...about 50 raked dines and tons of chovies going missing 30 seconds after hitting the bottom. Lots of bass bites, annoying macs and then I found something big enough to pull drag. Felt right, looked right..flatie! Got it up and measured it...23 1/2" [Brain Fart!] so I tossed it back wishing it had been 24". Within the next two hours, 3 more came up! one was || short of that 24" number that was stuck in my head... another 23" 3/4, and 23" 1/2. I seriously was bent that the halibut gods were messing with me, but I figured its good fish Karma and I like to stay legal.

On the way back in I got two SLUG sandbass by the coast guard base.

Was recounting this to my fishing buddy today...when he said "aren't halibut supposed to be 22?" :facepalm: four legal butts...and i put them back...on purpose.

Well, there are fish out there...

On the way back it got really snotty and i was taking a wave over the bow ever 20 seconds. Ended up with a lot of water in my boat that I need to figure out.

Tight lines!
Hammerhead_77 is offline   Reply With Quote