View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #31
YakDout
Brandon

If the current or wind is stiff, you may only see your jig in the top portion of the water column. Current pushes you fast away from it and it could no longer be in your cone. When it’s real calm turn your gain up and try again. You want your gain as high as you can while not making clutter to the point where it all blends together. Every unit is different and everyone’s settings will be a little different unless you copy and paste a friends. Here are a few shots for you. Both taken within the last month. The first a few yellowtail on a friends boat. You can see my Yoyo jig dropping on the fish toward the right of the screen.

Remember the left of the screen is stuff you have already gone over, while the right side of the screen is current. Basically we saw the school come through on the meter and dropped the jig after the fact hence it’s why the jig dropping is on the right side of screen.

Second pic is a few weeks ago on my yak. This is actually a few BSB and as you can see the marks look completely different. There are many reasons for this. Settings on sonar, type of transducer, and sea bass vs a fast moving pelagic fish such as yellowtail. Black Sea bass being more of a sluggish fish will typically show as long worm marks such as the second pic. They will typically stay in your cone longer than a yellowtail would. The vertical lines in the second pic are due to a friend being in close proximity on the same frequency and the line are interference between transducers.

You can see the one BSB ascending in the second pic because I was putting some serious pressure on it right after it bit.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote