View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Yeah, Deep Divers work much better... but if you want to save a few bucks and give your existing lures a little more capability, try adding a little bit of weight on the line about 3' - 5' ahead of the lure... that'll help it dive deeper. I cast/troll cheapo BPS Minnows this way to get them to run deeper.

I don't have any exact science for you, but I use 2 little pinch weights. For me, experimentation is pretty important.

I cast them out me and let them sink for a few seconds, just like a CountDown Rapala. Then I'll start retrieving or trolling. I can't really see what's going on back there, but based on the line angle (assuming the line is taught) and how much line I have out, I'd guesstimate they run at 12' or more, depending on how long I let them sink.

When I pull them back to the boat they seem to come up at a pretty steep angle from underneath, where these lures would normally only run about 5' deep without the weighted line.

Sometimes I'll put bigger/heavier hooks on as well... but that usually turns a suspending lure into a sinking lure, and if you go too big you mess up the swimming action.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote