Thread: Black Sea Bass?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 07:03 PM   #1
Salty

Black Sea Bass?

Question about Black Sea bass: How frequently do you guys encounter these fish? Had an offshore trip planned on my friend's boat last Friday, but after seeing how bad the wind forecast was, we decided stay close to shore and pray for some local yellowtail. Found a good spot to anchor up and got some lines in the water. First hookup was almost instant and ripped line off my Talica10 on full drag like it was nothing. Thought it was a big YT, but after a fun fight it turned out to be a big black sea bass. We ended up catching 2 more for a total of 3 good-sized BSB, among other calico/sandy and whitefish within a few hours. We had several more really good hookups that didn't stick, but felt the same and I feel safe assuming it was the same species. I've only ever heard of these fish being caught here and there, not 3 on one boat with a crew of 2. Just wondering if anyone has encountered anything like this, either on a boat or kayak, or if this really was a unique experience. Hoping this was a sign that the local populations are recovering!

(Note: We know how to handle these fish responsibly. Each fish remained in the water, never touched the boat, was handled with gloves and was released under their own power with no injuries within minutes of seeing color)
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote