Thread: NPH, 3-12-15
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
Amish Ed

NPH, 3-12-15

Launched at 5:45am from the USCG beach (this is important). It was dark, cool, and no wind. Water was 64º and stained. The wind never did really kick up, but I was off the water at 10:00.

Started off on the bouy line right outside the launch and stayed there for about an hour and a half. By 6:15 I had 10 bass, all 3 species, 2 of them legal. Moved out to the grass beds and worked those for a while, but nothing was really going on. So, I moved to the channel edge between the moored boats (between Balboa and the peninsula) and picked a 4 more including my 3rd and final legal. Moved to the moored boats, but only had a few bites for a half hour's work. Went back to the channel edge and picked my final 2 for 16 total. The current then died and I think I had 3 bites for the last 45min.

Hot baits for the dark bite were a 4" Paddlerz in Houdini on an orange 3/8 Slayer head and a Slayer head, home made brown and orange skirt, w/a Ring Hammer in Pierce's Bug for the trailer. This only got a couple before I lost it to some structure. Once the sun came up the Houdini bite died and I switched to a 3" Flurry in Minnow Magic on a silver 3/8 Slayer head. Hot Sauce for flavor.

Now back to the important part, those first 10 fish cost me $4.50 each. That's right I got a ticket for $45 for parking before 6:00am. First time in 15yrs I've received a ticket for that. Not only that the cop cited me at 5:15, but waited until I launched to put the ticket on my truck. Kinda put a sour note on that morning bite.

I missed fishing with Steve. But, I had to change our plans for fishing MB tomorrow, because it looks like I have to drive my boys out to Joshua Tree tomorrow. Anyways, good fishing while the current lasted and of course it was much better than work