View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
yycyak
Junior

Last minute trip help - La Jolla

Hi everyone,

Hoping some of the forum members here can maybe help me. My wife and I are in California for a friend's wedding. My wife suggested she would like to check out San Diego on Saturday while we I are in California. I said I heard the fishing in La Jolla is good, and maybe we could go fishing.

She said she liked the idea, so we tried to find a guide who could take us out. Unfortunately everyone I Googled/contacted is unavailable to take us.

So as an alternative, can anyone here give some pointers for how a guy could pull off a kind of "self-guided" trip in the La Jolla area? I'm not adverse to hitting a Walmart for an Ugly Stik and a cooler, and renting a kayak from somewhere, but we all know a recreational sit-in kayak isn't the best way to chase fish compared to a Hobie and what not.

Guided would still be my first choice, cause I just need to show up with a lunch and that's about it. But if I have to do a DIY type of deal I'm fine with that too.

Punch list would be:

- where can I rent a couple fishing yaks;
- what lbs line / tackle would you recommend;
- any particular location to go/launch from;
- how do I get a fishing license; (I only have my phone at the moment. No laptop/printer)

Everything else I can likely piece together from my own kayak fishing experience back home.

Thanks in advance for humouring an unprepared tourist -yycyak
yycyak is offline   Reply With Quote